A peek into both the countries relations with each other
German Chancellor Angela Merkel is on a three-day visit to India. She will hold talks with Prime Minister Narendra Modi on issues such as trade, investments and increased bilateral cooperation in a number of development projects in diverse fields. Even though the bilateral trade between the two countries is around $18 billion, it is nowhere close to what it can be. Both the leaders will aim to improve the situation.
Here we are going to tell you about the important things that you should know about Indo-German relations.
- India and Germany are strategic partners since 2001.
- Germany is India’s largest trading partner in the European Union
- Germany is the seventh largest investor in India
- The overall exchange of goods and services between the two countries was valued at around 15.96 euros last year.
- India’s exports to Germany rose marginally to 7.03 billion euros in 2014, its German imports dropped to 8.92 euros from 9.19 billion euros last year.
- More than 1,600 Indo-German collaborations and around 600 Indo-German joint ventures are currently in operation.
- Tuesday’s meet is the second bilateral meeting between PM Modi and German Chancellor Angela Merkel.
- The German leader, who met PM Modi at Hannover Messi in April, is in India for the 3rd inter-governmental (IGC) between both the countries.
- The IGC is a unique summit-level dialogue with cabinet participation of both governments to help advance the bilateral partnerships across priority areas of mutual interest.
- Germany’s competencies in manufacturing, high technology, clean energy, water and waste management provide a robust foundation for enhanced partnerships in a range of priority areas.
- There are more than 2,000 Indian companies operating in Germany. Sectors of IT, automotive, pharma and biotech have received a bulk of Indian investments.
- Approximately 10,000 Indian students are studying various courses in Germany and on the other hand there are around 800 German students who are studying or doing their internships in .